Faliron Bay Integrated Regeneration Program, Athens, Greece
Renzo Piano Building Workshop Design Implementation
Year of Completion:
Faliro, Athens, Greece
• Master Plan implementation
• Preliminary Design
• Final Design
• Tender Documents
Integrated regeneration program, restructuring and development of the Faliron Coast area to re-establish continuity between the city and the sea in accordance with the Cultural Center S. Niarchos facilities (National Opera, national Library and Cultural / Educational Park).
The development of the area includes the:
• Tourist development (beach, artificial lakes, recreation areas, ecological park etc)
• Facilities and installations (Pavillions, open cinema, Exhibition facilities, underground small buildings, etc)
• Marine works (wharfs, piers works,
artificial beach etc)
• Infrastructure works (roads, bridges etc)
The Project components carried out by ENB included :
1. Flood control dry channels affecting the urban areas of Moschato and Kallithea Municipalities (300,000inh)
2. Modifications and training works at the downstream part of Ilisos River for flood control (Qmax=270m3/sec).
3. New coastal stormwater collector of Moschato and Kallithea. This collector will replace the existing storm water collectors and will be constructed in parallel and downstream of the tramway for the flows from the existing
storm water conduits of the municipalities of Moschato and Kallithea to be led to Kifissos river.
4. Stormwater and sanitation networks for the installations (40,000PE).
5. Irrigation system (conduits, distribution network) of the Faliron Coast (100Ha).
6. Renewal of Kifisos stagnant water works and artificial lakes feeding (sea water pumping station and conduits)
7. Sewage treatment plant (Elaionas Water Recapture Center) for 1,200m3 / day capacity including biological and tertiary treatment to produce water for irrigation of the regenerated areas and miscellaneous municipal parks.
Flood Control, Water Supply & Sanitation Networks, Irrigation system
Preliminary and Final Designs, Environmental Impact Assessment
Technical and Administrative Assistance